Thursday, January 12, 2012

So the adventure begins

I am currently sitting on a pillow in the living room of my (almost) empty apartment.  I brought the last load of stuff to my storage unit this afternoon, then rushed home just in time to join my last online meeting with YCI.  They organized a past Arusha volunteer to talk to Nisha and I about what to expect.  It was incredibly helpful.  He gave us lots advice about places to visit, things to pack (lots of reading material!) and working at the Umoja Centre.  I can really imagine what it's going to be like now, which is helping settle nerves and get me excited.

Today was also my last day at work.  JJ had the staff send in some well wishes and had them printed and bound into a little booklet for me.  I avoided reading them until I got home, because I knew I'd get a little emotional (and I did).  It was such a nice gesture and I plan on bringing them with me for those moments I feel homesick.  I am so grateful that I get to start back with Wanapitei when I come home.  As much as it amazes me that I have finished a full year, it amazes me more that a year ago I didn't know this amazing group of people and now they feel like family.

Ottawa tomorrow and two days, seventeen hours until take off.  Whoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment